Sunday, April 25, 2010

"You Really Need a Blog"

So, after many months of people saying that I "really need a blog" in response to many of my ramblings on motherhood, and total disgust for most that I see or read day to day, I finally decided to write one. Who will read it? Don't know or really care!

I have tried over and over again to start one. I change the title, and the first post over and over, trying to say something clever or at least mildly interesting. But I figured since the first post is most likely the most challenging, I might as well just DO it.

So here I am, bitching about everything from Dr. Sears, to breastfeeding, to my least favorite term "baby wearing". I feel like these days so much pressure is placed on mother's to be perfect or "Mother of the Year" and that these mothers, while competing in this rat race, end up being absolutely miserable, with equally miserable children.

I also do not believe in reading book after book about how to raise children. After all, they are future human beings, not science projects or hobbies. I mean if you seriously think that any one with a published book and the title "Dr." in front of their names know more about YOUR child than you do, I think you may have issues.

Not that I have distaste for all child-rearing books. Just ones that leave little to know room for improvisation, or anything that claims to have a solution for ANYTHING. Books about how much to feed your baby, or that you should put them on their backs to sleep, or how to care for the umbilical chord, yes.....Books on how best to "bond" with your baby, HELL NO.

I believe in sharing information and EXPERIENCE with other mothers, or figuring it out as you go along. I believe in making mistakes, and letting your child be the teacher.So many people are obsessed with their books, theories, or what is "best" that they are cemented in their decisions before their baby is even born. They refuse to change or look at it from different angles.

I am the first to admit that I may change my mind about an issue half way through a discussion about it, just by looking at it differently. I am flexible with most things and some people think I am fickle. I say I am forever growing and changing, and so should my viewpoint. Don't be surprised if you find me contradicting myself, or going back on something I may have once said. It is only because I am not too stubborn to say that I may have been wrong, which is what is wrong with most mothers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment