Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Big Carseat "Debate"

So most people know that you are required by law to keep your child rear-facing in their car seats until 1 year old AND 20 pounds. A lot of people switch their baby the second they hit those requirements, with joy, like it is some sort of milestone. What most do not realize, is that this is an extremely risky move. That is the MINIMUM. Children are 5 times safer in the rear-facing position than in the front-facing position. FIVE TIMES!!! What is the debate? It is scientifically proven to be safer. So, why switch them? Here are many of the "reasons" mothers say they switch so soon:

1. "My child hit the required height and age, I am not doing anything illegal."
Well, it is now being recommended by the AAP that toddlers should remain RF until at LEAST 2 years old and 30 pounds!! Also, it will take time for these new recommendations to take affect legally. Who cares if it is legal to switch them? What does that have to do with the fact that your child is no longer as safe?

2. "My child's legs were getting smushed, and I was afraid that he/she would break a leg in a crash!"

I have never heard of broken legs due to a tall child being RF. Also, a broken leg is MUCH better than a broken spine. Also, the child can comfortably cross his or her legs and sit "Indian style" which is actually more comfortable for them than letting their legs dangle over the edge of seat.

3. "My car seat's weight limit for RF was reached, and my child is too tall."

There are SO many affordable seats that RF until very high weight and height limits. My daughter is currently in a seat that RF until she is 53 inches tall and 40 something pounds!!!! Research the seats, and many seats will last until the child is ready to move out of carseat/booster meaning you won't have to ever purchase another seat!

4. "My child was too fussy or cried too much sitting RF. I needed to switch to keep my sanity and to keep her happy!"
By the time many kids are reaching these legal limits, they should be able to learn certain expected behaviors. Behaving in the car is a huge lesson that should be taught young. Also, most kids who dislike the car RF, still dislike the car FF. Also, try things like coloring books, snacks (that they can not choke on, and in one of those snack trap cups, so they can't spill or grab big handfuls), music, toys, singing to them, talking to them, or give them a sippy or their pacifier. My daughter was not allowed the paci after 12 months EXCEPT in the car, and during bed/nap times. A paci addiction is less severe than internal decapitation.

It is so important to keep them facing backwards for as long as possible. A child's spine is not fully developed until they are at least 2 years of age. When in a rear end collision, the child's weight goes forward, and their bodies are strapped in, but their necks and heads are not. Their body is stopped, and their neck and head fly forward, snapping it. It happens way to often, and most childhood car deaths are caused by this injury. In Europe it is common practice to rear face until FOUR years old!!!!! It is safer for everyone to face backwards, but it would be a little hard to drive!!!

I don't understand how anyone can debate this topic. Most people are not aware of Extended Rear Facing. Most people do not understand or know the dangers. I myself didn't do it with my oldest two. 11 years ago, you didn't RF convertable car seats at all, you only RF the infant carrier! My son was FF at 5 months old!!!! YIKES! When my 6 year old was a baby, it was only really becoming recommended to RF until 1, and I thought it looked "unsafe" to have the seats facing like that. In fact a lot of seats weren't designed to face that way. I didn't know the dangers. I didn't know, and I put my child at risk. Once I knew the dangers, I couldn't live with myself if anything happened, so I keep my daughter, at 20 months, rear faced in her car seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment