Monday, May 10, 2010

Hard Time Shopping!

Ok, so this may seem a little off topic from my normal mothering rants, but I just had to vent about this!!!!

I went to Kohls tonight to go shopping. I had a $25 gift certificate, and some money on my Kohls' card to spend, plus a 30% coupon! I was so excited to buy a couple new shirts, and a pair of shorts or capris.

I have to admit, that as a mother of 3, and being 28 years old, it is a little strange to still be shopping in the Juniors department, but I find the Misses section to be too elderly, matronly and conservative for my taste, nevermind the HUGE price increase.

The only thing I usually hate about shopping in the Juniors (besides the random cartoon on a Tshirt, or wierd splotches on some of the denim) is the fact that it makes me feel HUGE. I mean, in the Misses section, I am usually a 2-6, depending on the article of clothing, material, shape ect... But in the Juniors department, I am always a LARGE for shirts due to my size D breasts, and my not so tight tummy....and I am usually a 7-9 in pants due to the fact that I did have 3 kids, and my hips aren't exactly "boyish".

But today, I go in SUPER excited, when I see the latest items in the Junior department. I am a "hippie" at heart, and I love flowy shirts, crazy designs, peace signs (which I have been sporting for years, but now feel weird about it, because it is so trendy, and I hate that!) and funky tops, tie dye-"ish" shirts....I was so excited when I saw everything!!!

I PILED the clothes in the cart, and for once, I was all alone! No children with me, no nagging husband...nowhere to be...it was after 8:00pm, and my kids were either sleeping, or watching TV in bed(my oldest is 11)....so I was able to BROWSE!!! I love to browse! I really thought I was going to have a hard time deciding what to buy and what to put back!

Well, I finally get into the dressing room, eager to put things on. First off, Why the HECK does Kohls have such a hard time keeping their garmets on the appropriate hangers? I mean, when I want a medium or a large, and I get into the room and it is an XXXL...it is not helping me AT ALL!!!!

Secondly...I realize that everthing is HUGE! Not that I am skinny, and needed a smaller size...No...it fit just fine in the bust...but it was purposely HUGE...LONG as all hell, and WIDE! Some of the shirts had flaired sides...I mean...WHO WANTS TO LOOK LIKE A TENT?!?!?!?

I realized that it is because the newest "look" is the capri legging...so huge shirts with leggings...oh, and some of the manequins actually were wearing the capris UNDER shorts...who the HELL wants to wear that in 90 degree weather? Also, the shirts had so many straps, and layers, that your tan line would be a NIGHTMARE!!! It was just so strange.

Is it because teens/woman in their early 20s are bigger these days, and want to disguise their weight? Is teen pregnancy on the rise? Seriously don't get why anyone who is NOT pregnant, would want to LOOK pregnant! I was a teen mom, geez! I guess I was born 11-12 years too early! If I was a pregnant teen in 2010, I'd fit in beautifully, with this new preggo look that is hitting the shelves!

No one looks flattering in a tent. No one. Period.

So, after being totally discouraged, I decide that maybe it is time for me to "graduate" to the adult, woman section. So I admit defeat, and I mosey on over to the very strange land of even numbered clothing, with shirts that cost $24.99 on sale...I see clothing that I would never be able to wear. Shirts that would look great if I had somewhere special to go, or if I was worried about showing too much skin....Neither which I am particularily concerned about. I want TANK TOPS! I do not want to cover my shoulders and neck!!! Seriously!

I notice that Lauren Conrad now has a line in the Misses department...Lauren Conrad does not scream "old woman" to me when I watched her on MTV's "The Hills"....It was the most immature groups of girls I have ever seen! I doubt any of them shop in the misses section...Why the hell is she creating these old woman looks??? (No offense to any older women out there) I just don't get it.

I finally went back to the Juniors department, and grabbed a pair of capris and a regular old tank top, and headed for the cash registers, totally disheartened, and feeling like I didn't belong anywhere in this suddenly foreign store, and realized that my stupid coupon isn't valid until Wednesday. FML. Seriously. When I go back, I probably will end up spending the money on my kids, who always look age appropriate, fit into their clothes, and don't have to worry about tan lines.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of the maternity look either. I don't know what the deal is. I don't think it is because teens are fatter because I think those styles look WORSE on heavy girls. You have to wear it like a hanger to look good. i think they often make normal weight girls look heavier, but the heavy girls look even worse. It is similar to the stuff that was in style when I was a teen--huge shirts over little leggings. It is just weird. I did the short tight skirts under the big shirts so I looked like I was just wearing a big shirt. I was luckily thin back then so it worked. I just hope the stirrup pants don't come back...or the really big hair.
    It is also complicated by getting older. It creeps up on you. You don't feel older, but you look in the mirror and things are a little different or you realize your kid is closer to 20 than you are. Ready or not, 30, 35, 40...they all come and even if you feel the same the world sees you differently. You go from "ha ha I'm getting older" to "WTH?" When I was a teen I remember going to the mall and seeing this lady wearing an outfit that was very "in"--looked like she fell out of one of my teen magazines. I had been behind her and I remember thinking it was a cute outfit and wondering where she got it. Then she turned around and she was OLD--she was probably in her mid or late 30's but at 16 that is ancient and it just seemed wrong and she looked ridiculous. She did, it was the 80's, we all looked ridiculous with our big hair, black liner on our inner lids and plastic beads--but she struck me as just creepy. Anyway, so I think of that when I think about what to wear. I am kind of glad that I am too old to wear that stuff :) I appreciate not having to see people's rolls hanging over their pants and that I don't have to expose people to mine, but it has gone too far to the other extreme.
    I know it is hard shopping with kids and it is disappointing what time and kids do to our bodies sometimes. I don't know if you have seen this site http://www.myshape.com/shop/new-for-me?SID=dinevfdbt347p00a6hphivucs4 but they shop for you. You put in your measurements, tell them what styles you like and they put together outfits that will flatter your shape and fit in with your lifestyle. I haven't ordered from them because I refuse to invest in a double digit wardrobe. Hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete